Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Amazon Whisperer

Recycle Rewards' main revenue drivers include selling user data and offering a few ad spaces. These funds may not be sufficient as the app continues to grow. After thinking more about my concept, I've decided that the next step for Recycle Rewards is to introduce a product that tracks recycling habits and ensures that recycled items are disposed of properly. 

Let's call this product RR Buddy (Recycle Rewards Buddy). RR Buddy will be an electronic recycling receptacle that tracks your recyclables and syncs your information to the Recycle Rewards app. There will be a built in bar code scanner that allows people to easily scan their items before throwing them away and a weight sensor that can track when the item is actually discarded. An increase in weight will indicate that the item just scanned has been placed into the receptacle. After the weight sensor notices a new item has been recycled, the item will be recognized as being successfully recycled and will be logged in Recycle Rewards.

RR Buddy should make the recycle logging process easier. Instead of having to pull out your iPhone, load an app and scan your trash before discarding it, you can easily scan the item with your recycling receptacle and then dispose of it instantly. This process should be significantly more efficient and should make it easier for customers to remember to recycle. With calorie tracking apps, I find it hard to always be tracking what I eat. Because of the effort I need to make to use those apps, I stop using them after a few weeks. I'm fearing that Recycle Rewards will face similar issues. It can also be so easy to forget to log a bar-code with your iPhone. RR Buddy should eliminate the difficulty of having to remember to scan and log each item with your smartphone before disposing of it. 
 


Searching Amazon, I wasn't able to find many similar products at all. I was able to come across an automatic trash receptacle that sensed when someone was near and opened its lid automatically, but that is a far-fetched comparison. This receptacle was stainless steel and looked very sleek. It got 4.8 stars out of 5 and several people loved the product. Some of the more notable features included the large mouth, the quietness of the lid opening and closing, the 10 year warranty and the fact that it is battery powered. The lowest review was 2 stars and focused on how the receptacle is not as good as its competitors. One person complained about the expensive price and slow sensor reaction time.

***

I would make several changes to this product simply because it isn't that similar to what I was picturing RR Buddy to be. That being said, I really like the look of the receptacle. I would add a device to the side of the bin for scanning the bar-codes. I'm also not sure if I would include a lid or change the dimension of the bin.

I think RR Buddy would be a great addition to Recycle Rewards because it would make the whole tracking process easier for users. With RR Buddy, this receptacle would act as the "main bin" source for most of a user's at home recycling, and the Recycle Rewards app would allow for portable recycling tracking. I think it only makes sense to offer a special bin to go with the app. 

No comments:

Post a Comment