Friday, July 1, 2016

My Secret Sauce

For this assignment, I am comparing what I think my strongest characteristics are to what people closest to me think. I interviewed my parents and three friends and noticed that different people saw different strengths in me. To begin with, I've provided a list of 5 attributes I believe are my "secret sauce".

What I believe makes me unique:
1) I like to look at the big picture when approaching an issue.
2) I've very motivated.
3) I try to do a good job with everything I do.
4) Strong morals and values
5) I know my weaknesses and push myself so they become strengths

***

Below, I've created a bullet list of characteristics the people I interviewed see as my strengths.

Interview 1: 
-Great sense of vision
-Smart
-See the big picture
-See what impact something might have in the future
-Know what's right
-Insightful

Interview 2: 
-Takes things important to her seriously
-Strong work ethic
-Stands up for what she believe in
-Perseveres when they truly believe in something

Interview 3: 
-Approaches life with a sense of humor
-Deep and introspective
-Wants the best for everyone
-Creative and artsy

Interview 4:
-Strategic, thoughtful and always has a plan
-On the ball
-Driven
-Good at balancing work and fun

Interview 5:
-Motivated in and outside of school
-Creative
-Willing to take risks
-Looking to push myself out of my comfort zone

***
After creating the list of traits I thought set me apart from the crowd and interviewing five people, I realized that there were some differences between the responses. Some of the traits overlapped, like motivation and values. I think that the relationship with each person makes a big difference in how they view you. A parent-child relationship allows for more insight because your parents usually know you the best. My parents have seen me through every struggle and success and know how I handle every situation. On the other hand, some friends I have may not have known me as long and see me mostly at school. 

I think that all of the interviewees were correct about me in different ways. It's easy to see someone's strengths when you know them so well. Reflecting back on my list, I would probably replace my first characteristic, "I like to look at the big picture when approaching an issue", with "I am creative, and I see and approach situations differently".

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn,
    Your willingness to take risk and standing up for what you believe in are both excellent qualities to possess as an entrepreneur. And I really like the fact that someone noted that you approach life with a sense of humor. It's very important to have fun in your career and learn to have a great balance of play and work. Finally, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is very admirable because most people, including myself, don't have to boldness to step out side of our comfort zone unless we are put in a position that forces us to do so. You possess some great qualities which are noticed by others as well as yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. carolyn,
    it was apparent that your outlook is a great strength for you. you you your able to view the big picture and your friends agreed saying you have great vision and strength of thought. alot of times this is what is needed in a group of thinkers because people and ideas can get scattered when only looking at the immediate details.your ability to push through your weaknesses shows great strength and in turn only make you more efficient.

    ReplyDelete